[Forgive me if the considerations are very pragmatic but the Vatican also operates that way!]
THE VATICAN WANTS TO KEEP PRIESTS AT ALL COSTS BECAUSE NUMBERS CONTINUE TO PLUMMET
- Disbanding the Legion would be a major problem; many of the priests in the Legion would be lost in the shuffle
- [Former members tell us that many were ordained rapidly without finishing their studies and to fill some magical numbers that Maciel had thought out for image reasons and to impress Catholic Hierarchy and benefactors]
- Many vocations in the Legion are not strong and would collapse without the Legion system that monitors their every movement
- The Vatican cannot go back and admit that it made a mistake to approving the Legion initially in 1948 [the Monsignors were not there to hear Maciel guffaw about the way he had deceived them with the help of some of his sexually deviant Cardinals AMIGOTES
- Stopping the Legion would reflect very poorly on newly canonized Pope John Paul II who had supported Maciel and the Legion until the very end. Cardinal Angelo Sodano and the Pope's Legion-bought secretary, now bishop Dziwisz -who was quickly transferred out of Rome- were mainly responsible for keeping the aging pope in the dark and preventing him from facing reality. The pope was treated like a Mediaval Monarch instead of the Executive Director of the Catholic Church.