WHERE DO ALL THE LEGION OF CHRIST PEDOPHILES GO?
We were saying that Legion Founder, Marcial Maciel, an impulsive and voracious pedophile would have
- Abused around a hundred of his seminarians; maybe more. Remember that most victims of pedophilia keep silent, and that is partially why it is so difficult to get statistics.
- · There are no hard facts regarding how many victims become perpetrators. Prudentially, and based on my readings of the psychological literature, shall we say 10% of victims become perpetrators. So now we have a very conservative calculation that Maciel would have spawned 10 or more sexually abusing religious/priests.
- · The bad news is that Maciel created an environment of silence, deceit and control that breeds sexual abuse.
- · The other piece of bad news is that during the foundation period Maciel was not the only predator who abused the prospective seminarians in the Apostolic Schools (junior seminaries) where boys were groomed from as early as 10 years old to become priests (or sexual abuse victims). There is historical proof that one of Fr. Maciel’s earliest collaborators in Tlalpam, Mexico, Fr. Luis Ferreira, was an active abuser. Ferreira and Maciel attempted to blackmail each other into silence! (See published documents in La Voluntad de No Saber, “Not wanting to know”, only in Spanish:
- The other bad news is that very often Maciel, in order to reward and control his victims often made them superiors. With their authority/power over the subjects their inclination could be more easily satisfied.
- There needs to be further study regarding “intergenerational pedophilia” in the Legion of Christ; Maciel abuses Guillermo Izquierdo (not to be confused with his twin brother, Gustavo Izquierdo), who become novice master, and abuses novices in Ireland and possibly the USA; one of Izquierdo’s Irish victims becomes a superior and abuses a novice under his care, etc. etc.